Day 13

I just made it through my longest drought of non-painting-days since I started my blog. I had a lot of things going on this weekend and I couldn't find the time (what a sorry excuse, right?). 

As I worked on this one, I keep thinking of what I'm going to write when I posted it: "Just when I thought I was getting good..." or "Painting a fork is hard...". But I think the main insight I can pass along from last night is "Take your time with the drawing stage.". I had a lot of trouble getting the perspective drawing down on this one. It's quite the challenge drawing with a paint brush. I've been noticing my drawing skills are a little rough when it comes to these pieces. Unfortunately, I don't see it until the painting is done and photographed. I can draw just about anything with a pencil, and get the perspective correct, but there's something about the brush that causes me to miscalculate. I've gotten better at it since I began (three weeks now), but I need to spend more time at the beginning stage.

PS: When I finished this piece, my resident critic daughter, Maddie, drop by to let me know where I made my mistakes and to dump my display carrots into the glass of tea I was using for the painting. Thank you Madeline Rose Teel.

Tea and Carrots


6" x 6" Oil on gesso board

Comments

Popular Posts