Day 65

I bought two new vases before I left on vacation. One orange, one clear. They have been turning up in my last few paintings. Choosing a great object to incorporate into these quick still life pieces is not as easy as it seems. 

In one of my earlier pieces I had borrowed an old ketchup dispenser from my sister who likes to collect antiques. It had all the ingredients that I like to paint, glass and metal. "What a great looking item to paint", I thought. But once I started the painting process (I never seem to notice it when I'm drawing), it became clear that this innocent looking dispenser was in fact a cold blooded killer. Too much detail in the metal. It was large and didn't seem to work well with any of the other items I had. So I've learned, ever so slightly, what to look for in objects that work well with these small types of paintings. 

I'm hoping as I progress, I'll be able to paint anything, no matter how detailed, or just learn to block out the details and paint the important core of the subject matter.

PS: I'm a couple months from my one year anniversary of this blog. Though I'm happy with my progress, I'm not happy with the amount of posts I have. This spring has really been crazy and has kept me from getting into a nice groove. I'm going to really buckle down and try to reach 100 posts by August 19th. Wish me luck. 

Buy it now


Two Vases


6"x6" Oil on gessoboard

Comments

Popular Posts