Day 28

I believe one of the signs of an experienced artist is knowing what to paint. Is the subject matter of some importance? Does it have good contrasting lights and darks? Is there an interesting arrangement of subject matter or are the colors vivid against a background? All important issues to considered. 

I also believe its true that experience teaches the artist what not to paint. Does this subject matter fit my painting style? Will I be able to handle the complexity of the objects? 

I do realize that you shouldn't pin hole yourself into painting the same things over and over. You need to venture out of your comfort zone and paint subject matter that you've never tackled before to get better. Myself, I had never painted glass or metal objects before starting this blog.

Though I like this composition, I realized as I worked my way through this piece, that green beans were probably not the thing I should be tackling right now. And especially not 400 green beans. I think I'll purchase a small hand full of these at the market this weekend and give it another try. 

Red Potatoes and Green Things

6" x 6" Oil on gessoboard

Comments

Popular Posts