Day 1

They say practice makes perfect. 

I recently stumbled upon a series of blog sites from different artists who have committed to themselves to create one painting a day (small 6" x 6" loose works). Though I'm the full time Creative Director at Progressity, and have a family (wife and two girls living at home), I've decided to take the plunge.

I've been painting off and on for most of my adult life (mostly off) but I've really started to become serious about my artwork (old age is creeping up). Last year my sister-in-law, Kathleen DuBois, encouraged me to make an appointment to meet with a local artist here in Charleston, Barrie Kaufman. Barrie inspired me to start painting on a more regular basis. With her help, I've come a long way. But the journey for me has just begun. I have a long way to go before I can be the artist I want to be.

So here I am. I don't expect followers or art critics to flock to my blog. I just want to hold myself to the pursuit of these daily paintings. I think having to post these will help me. I realize "everyday" is not possible (life, kids and stuff), but having this blog as a place to post images and thoughts will hopefully keep me going.

One more thing, one of the artists I managed to stumble upon is Carol Marine. Love her work. She makes painting look so easy. Today was my first go round. And boy let me tell ya, it's not easy.

Year one, here I come.

TahDah! My first piece. I think I'll call it "Oranges and Bowl", very catchy.


6" x 6", oil on canvas board.
 

Comments

Popular Posts